Thursday, September 22, 2011

Week 4 Writing Assignment

Q: What motivates you to make photographs? How do you benefit internally and what do you hope for from your photography externally?

A: Making photographs, for me, is a way to express creativity. I have never been any good at drawing, painting, sculpting, or any other art forms, but I'm decent at photography, and I love it. I love the feeling that comes when I'm behind the camera and the satisfaction after I click the shutter button. It just feels right.

Right now I think that my motivation to take photos comes from me knowing that I have to learn the basics before I can specialize and understand how to take other kinds of photos. After graduating I eventually hope to do scientific photography. This would include underwater photography, astrophotography, and under the microscope photography, as well as possible wildlife. My motivation behind wanting to do these kinds of photographs is to help others discover what else is out there. Not everyone has the opportunities to discover the wonders that are beneath the ocean or that are in the night sky, but I want everyone to be able to see them if they choose to. Plus, for me, these kinds of photography are what take my breath away. If portraits are your thing, that's cool and I understand many people like to do them, but to me they're bland. I want to do something that is both interesting to others as well as myself.


Q: What interests and inspires you as an artist?

A: Well as mentioned above I am interested in the science side of photography. One of the main influences in this is the photographer David Doubilet. He is an underwater photographer and many of his images are stunning. Another artist who has inspired me is Barbara Kruger. She isn't exactly a photographer, but she works with images and texts to create inspiring and thought-invoking pieces.

I guess for me inspiration is hard to come by and depends on the project. For a school project last year we did cultures and had to come up with photos to go along with one. The one I chose was Egyptian gods and goddesses and the hieroglyphics are what inspired me to come up with ideas and my model inspired me with different on the spot poses. Other sources of inspiration are simply photos I see in books or on websites such as Flickr. Any photograph that catches my eye is usually something I wish I had created or want to know how they made.

No comments:

Post a Comment