Monday, October 10, 2011

Week 6 Writing Assignment

I interviewed one of my good friends Amanda Halse. She does a little bit of everything in the art world, but mostly drawing and painting. She is still going through school but she does a lot of side work including commissions.

Q: What are the inspirations behind your work and what motivates you to keep going?

A: There's a few different things that inspire me. When I browse around the internet or see other people's artwork in person, that's what inspires me. I'll see something I like and I'll want to try it myself, except maybe giving it my own twist so I'm not copying that other artist. Sometimes I'll just try it to see if I can do it. I want to keep getting better at what I do, which I would say is my motivation, so I try something a little different each time. But sometimes when I'm not inspired by another's piece, I get my ideas just by listening to music and staring at a blank canvas and start from there. I'll see images in my head, and although sometimes I can't really put it to the paper how I see it in my head, I still like the results... sometimes.


Q: What do you try to communicate through your work?


A: I'm not gonna lie, but sometimes my artwork doesn't really have a meaning behind it! Sometimes I just wanna make something just for the hell of it. Like the one below. I just think it looks sweet. Most of the time it's when I do artwork for other people.




For other pieces, they do have a meaning behind them. For example, The 2 piece I love you for now (forever). That has to do with relationships in general. I was thinking of my past exes. The whole breaking up situation was just ugly in general. So in response I wanted to make something that wasn't all cutesy and pleasing to look at. I remember me and my ex always saying to each other " I love you forever", which we did really mean it at time, or so we thought we did. But now that I'm no longer with that person, it occurs to me that it's more like I'm with you right for the moment, so" I love you for now." It made me realize that certain love does not last forever. Its like the love you feel for each other can be dropped at any moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment